This Chapter addresses information you need to know about footprinting and scanning. To gain a more in-depth understanding of these topics, readers should
- Understand the types of information leakage that organizations can suffer from and list ways to reduce this leakage.
- Review the type of information that a client organization has on its website, and consider how it can be used by a malicious hacker.
- Know the various types of scans such as full, stealth, Null, and Xmas tree. You should also review the various scanning tools, such as Nmap, and understand their operations.
- Be able to identify common ports that are associated with Windows computers.
- Explain why null sessions are a potential risk for the organization and how the risk can be reduced.