Exam Prep Answers
- Answer D is the correct answer. The cache memory is not considered when matching characteristics between processors on SMP server boards. The important characteristics for matching include the family, model, and stepping. In addition, if these characteristics match, it’s likely the cache will also. Answers A, B, and C are therefore all incorrect.
- Answer A is the correct answer. Although Answer D might be necessary in some situations, the most likely cause of the problem is that the NOS is not properly configured to provide SMP support. Answer B is incorrect because not enough information is known to assume that the new CPU is bad. Answer C would usually be considered before selecting the new CPU to ensure compatible stepping values.
- Answer B is the correct answer. ASMP requires specialized knowledge to implement its computer, whereas symmetrical multi-processing is relatively easy to implement. Answer A is incorrect because an SMP solution is less expensive to implement. Answer C is incorrect because SMP is faster than a single-processor solution. Answer D is incorrect because SMP processors share not only the same board, but the NOS, memory, and peripherals as well.
- Answer A is the correct answer. SMP time-slices its operations into multiple threads for simultaneous execution by multiple processors. Answer B is incorrect because nothing is gained by having multiple processors that can only execute one task at a time. Answer C is incorrect because running multiple NOSes by multiple processors does not describe SMP. Answer D is incorrect because SMP does just the opposite.
- Answer C is the correct answer. The Windows Server 2003 OS package provides 64-bit computing for business and home use. Answer A is incorrect because Apple’s Panther OS uses a 32-bit platform. Answer B is incorrect because Windows 2000 Server is also a 32-bit system. Answer D is incorrect because Windows 98 is a 16-bit platform capable of running some 32-bit software.