To register for a Prosoft CIW exam, you must contact one of two test delivery companies: Prometric or VUE:
- Prometric. It's easy to sign up for a test using the Prometric Web site, or you can register by phone at 1-800-380-EXAM (in the U.S. or Canada).
- VUE. Sign up for a test or get the phone numbers for local testing centers at www.vue.com/ciw/.
To sign up successfully, you'll need a valid credit card; otherwise, you must contact either company to obtain mailing instructions for sending a check (inside the U.S.) or money order (outside the U.S.). You obtain a test date only when payment is verified or a check or money order has cleared; because credit cards can be processed immediately, using one is strongly recommended.
To schedule an exam, call or visit the Prometric or VUE Web pages at least a day in advance. To cancel or reschedule any exam, you must call no less than 12 hours before the scheduled test time or before the close of business on the preceding working day; otherwise, you might be charged for the exam, even if you don't show up to take it. Because CIW exams cost $125 each, we suggest that you avoid wasting your money whenever possible!
When you are ready to schedule a test, prepare the following information:
- Your name, organization, mailing address, and email address.
- A unique identifier that only you may use. (In the U.S., this is your Social Security number. If you live outside the U.S., call Prometric or VUE to ask what kind of identification you need when you take a Prosoft exam.)
- The name and number of the exam that you want to take (for Foundations, that's 1D0-410; for Security Professional, that's 1D0-470).
- Some acceptable method of payment.
After you sign up for a test, you'll find out when and where that test will be given. Try to arrive at the designated testing center at least 15 minutes early; we recommend that you call the day before to make sure you're on the schedule. You must also provide two forms of identification, one of which must be a photo ID, such as a passport or a driver's license.
As soon as you complete a CIW exam, the testing software reports whether you've passed or failed. It also provides detailed information to indicate which areas you should study. If you fail a Prosoft exam, we urge you to obtain whatever test results the test administrator can print. This tells you where improvement will be needed. If you do fail, you'll have reschedule (and pay for) another test.