Exam Profile: Configuring Windows 8 (70-687)
- Exam Details / Trouble Spots
- Preparation Hints / Recommended Study Resources
- Exam Objectives / Where to Go from Here
Like any new Microsoft desktop operating system, Windows 8 offers a number of new features. Exam 70-687 tests an administrator’s ability to use these new features and to configure the Windows 8 operating system according to Microsoft’s recommended best practices.
- Number of questions: Microsoft does not disclose the number of questions on their certification exams, but this exam is estimated to have about 50 questions.
- Types of questions: Microsoft does not disclose the exam format, but the bulk of the exam is reported to be made up of multiple choice questions. You may also encounter simulations, reorder, or build a tree questions.
- Passing score: 700/1000
- Time limit: Microsoft does not disclose the time limit for their exams, but most exams have a time limit of about two hours.
- How to register: Prometric
As operating system exams go, Exam 70-687 is one of the easier exams that Microsoft has created in quite some time. A good bit of the exam subject matter is left over from Windows 7, so those who are proficient with Windows 7 will likely do very well on this exam.
The only real trouble spots on this exam are the questions that deal with the Metro interface and the app store. Administrators in corporate environments tend to work with Windows 8 primarily in Desktop mode. However, there are several questions on the exam which require familiarity with Metro style apps.