As with any exam, it will vary from person to person as to what is deemed to be difficult. Be sure you are familiar with each of the topics in the exam objectives listed below.
- System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007Comprehensively assesses, deploys, and updates servers, client computers, and devices across physical, virtual, and mobile environments. It is the Microsoft product that replaces System Management Server. There are many enhancements in SCCM.
- Windows Server 2008 IntegrationConfiguration Manager helps plan and manage upgrades and deployments of Windows Server 2008, reducing the labor for planning and deployment while adding manageability to the datacenter.
- Enhanced Asset IntelligenceDelivers detailed tracking of deployed software by using the Asset Intelligence database to discover and report installed applications. Improved Asset Intelligence also discovers and reports on computer owners and which applications where last run (software metering). In addition, Asset Intelligence offers support for online synchronizations and support for MVLS reports integration.
- Integrated Device ManagementIntegrated and enhanced mobile management supports the proliferation of mobile and embedded devices within the enterprise.
- Enhanced Operating System DeploymentImprovements to Operating System deployment supports bare-metal, network based (PXE) deployments and in-place deployments. Configuration Manager 2007 provides an integrated view and management of deployment within a common framework. Configuration Manager brings an innovative and flexible approach to operating system deployments or upgrades without requiring large, separate images for each system type.
- Software Update ManagementConfiguration Manager 2007 Software Update Management simplifies the complex task of delivering and managing updates to IT systems across the enterprise. You can deliver updates of Microsoft products, third-party applications, and custom in-house line-of-business applications, hardware drivers, and system BIOS to a variety of devices-including desktops, laptops, servers, and mobile devices. Being able to install a software package, such as Microsoft Office, to thousands of computers without having to physically touch that computer is an enormous time saver. Just keeping up to date with the latest Microsoft updates can be a daunting task. Software Update Manager is an extremely powerful tool for the IT professional.
- Network Access Protection (NAP)NAP in Windows Server 2008 is a component that provides a platform for system health validation. The NAP platform provides an integrated way of detecting the health state of a network client that is attempting to connect to a network and restricting access of the network client until system health has been successfully validated. Configuration Manager extends this capability to provide validation for the presence of Software Updates, one of the leading security issues today.
- Schedule DistributionThe ability to schedule updates and software installations allows you to have minimal disruption to your work environment. Many software updates require that a system be rebooted. Doing this during normal work hours is usually not acceptable. Many businesses now leave their computers on 24/7 and push all of the software updates, virus updates, and software installation packages out during the early morning hours.
- Manage Wake on LANIn order to conserve energy and still install software during off hours, you can use the Wake on LAN feature of Configuration Manager. You can choose to install updates or software as soon as the work force leaves and then power off the computers. You can then choose to restart the computers using Wake on LAN just before the workforce returns in the morning.
- Manage AdvertisementsYou can use Configuration Manager to Advertise applications that can be installed. Instead of forcibly pushing an application to a computer, you can give the user the option to install it by Advertising it. This allows users to install the applications needed on their own without administrative help.