Exam Profile: MCITP: Windows Server 2008, Server Administration (70-646)
The 70-646 exam is intended for IT professionals who are or wish to become a server administrator in a Windows 2008 R2 environment. An administrator in this environment will typically perform work such as managing the server operating system, file, and directory services, software distribution and updates, profiling and monitoring assigned servers, and troubleshooting. Microsoft states that a server administrator’s job involves 60 percent operations, 20 percent engineering, and 20 percent support tasks. After you pass the Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator exam, you will be on your way to having the Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator certification.
There are three exam requirements for the MCITP Server Administrator certification and they can be taken in any order:
- Exam: 70-642 Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring
- Exam: 70-640 Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
- Exam: 70-646 Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator
- Types and Number of Questions: It appears that Microsoft has started giving this test in a hybrid mode of multiple choice and testlets.
- Passing Score: 700 out of 1000
- Time Limit: 120 minutes
- How to Register: Prometric
Testlets are scenario based and you will use one scenario to answer multiple questions. There are approximately 30-35 questions and then 3-5 testlets that contain 7-11 questions each. (Since Microsoft does not publish this information, the number of exam questions and format may change without notice.)
This test consists mainly of multiple choice questions, but can also contain drag and drop, build list and reorder questions.