Exam Profile: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases (70-464)
The 70-464 exam is meant to be taken by database professionals who build and implement databases across the organization, while ensuring high levels of data availability. You should be about the perform tasks including creating database files, create data types, tables, plan create and optimize indexes, Implement data integrity, Implement views, stored procedures and functions, manage transactions and locks. Microsoft states that the exam is meant to be taken by those whose primary responsibilities may include:
- Optimize and tune queries.
- Create and alter stored procedures.
- Create and alter indexes.
- Maintain database integrity.
- Optimize indexing strategies.
- Create and alter tables.
- Maintain indexes.
- Create and modify constraints.
- Create and alter views.
- Create and alter user-defined functions (UDFs).
- Control execution plans.
- Work with XML Data
- Implement full-text search.
- Troubleshoot security.
- Write automation scripts.
- Troubleshoot performance issues.
After passing the Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases (70-464) exam, you complete the requirements for the MCSE: Data Platform certification.
- Number of Questions: Approximately 45-55 questions (Since Microsoft does not publish this information, the number of exam questions may change without notice.)
- Type of Questions: This test format is multiple choice and multiple choice multiple answer. You may also see several scenario questions.
- Passing Score: 700
- Time Limit: 120 minutes
This passing score does not mean that you must answer 70 percent of the items correctly in order to pass the exam. The actual percentage varies from exam to exam and may be more or less than 70 percent. There is no penalty for guessing. No points are deducted for incorrect answers. If a question specifies that you must choose multiple correct answers, you must choose the exact number of correct answers specified in the question in order to earn a point for that item. Some of the questions on the exam may not count toward the calculation of your score. Microsoft will often throw a question in that is meant to gather data that will help them improve the exam.
As with any exam, it will vary from person to person as to what is deemed to be difficult. Be sure you are familiar with each of the topics in the exam objectives listed below.
Some common reasons for query time-outs are:
- The application starts using a query not optimal for the index
- Hardware changes/configuration changes
- Increased load
It is advisable to review which product features you actually need and install only those features. If you need to add functionality later, then you should install the additional features.
You can use Microsoft Security Compliance Manager to manage security in general on machines running SQL Server. You can also use this to provide centralized security baseline management.
For the most secure configuration, password-protect keys and remove master key encryption.
Manage database object security by using ownership and permissions at the schema level.
It is a best practice to use only Windows logins whenever possible because SQL login passwords are passed across the network for authentication. This makes SQL logins less secure than Windows logins.