Home > Blogs > New Certs Abounding
New Certs Abounding
Having just researched what's new on the certification scene for 2013, I've come away with a surprising number of new credentials and entirely new programs...around a couple dozen, to be more precise.
For lack of better presentation, I'm simply going to list new and upcoming elements in alphabetical order by cert sponsor:
- Cisco is phasing out its CCIE Voice to replace it with something called CCIE Collaboration. The old written exam is available through 11/20/2013, and that lab exams stays live until 2/13/2014. The new exams take over the day after old ones go away. See the Cisco announcement for more info. (vendor specific senior level voice and video over IP plus unified communications cert for IT pros)
- Cloud Institute: Cloud Open Exam, Certified Cloud Architect, Certified Cloud Professional (vendor neutral self-assessment and two vendor neutral cloud certs)
- CompTIA will be releasing two new mobility certs: Mobility+ for IT administrators in August or September, 2013, and Mobile App Security+ for software developers and testers by the end of 2013. (vendor-neutral certs for IT administrators and software developers, Mobile App Security+ comes in iOS and Android versions)
- Digium: The maker of the Asterisk software PBX/VoIP platform now offers Digium Certified Asterisk Administrator (dCAA) and Digium Certified Asterisk Professional (dCAP) certs (vendor specific telephony certs with strong vendor-neutral component).
- D-Link: This network gear maker launched a complete multi-tiered cert program earlier this year in Australia, which is now making its way into North America. At present it's only available to D-Link employees and partners, though. Check out the D-Link Academy pages for more info. (vendor specific networking certs across topics on switching, security, wireless, IP surveillance, and storage)
- F5 adds a new entry-level administrator credential to its multi-tiered program, and plans to add four more Technical Specialist certs by the end of 2013. See their Certification home for more information. (vendor specific certs on a variety of F5 platforms and products)
- ISC-squared, home to CISSP, is launching a Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (CCFP) certification in late September, 2013. They're trying to lay claim to a hot and growing cert area that is highly fragmented at present. (senior level vendor neutral cert on computer forensics for IT pros)
- Microsoft recently created the Microsoft Certified Educator (MCE) credential, which aims to prepare primary and secondary school teachers to make effective use of information and communications technology (ICT in UNESCO-speak) in the classroom. Rumors are flying that the Windows 8 exams (which affect the MCSE: Windows 8 cert) will get a refresh once Windows 8.1 (formerly code-named "Blue") is released later this year (the beta comes out June 26, 2013). (vendor specific certs for educators and IT pros)
- Riverbed has its new Stingray platform out for managing application delivery, so it also has two new certs to cover that platform: Riverbed Certified Solutions Associate - Application Delivery (RCSA-AD) and Riverbed Certified Solutions Professional - Applications Delivery (RCSP-AD). See their cert page for more info (vendor specific networked application delivery platforms for IT pros).
- Ruijie: A fast-growing and ambitious Chinese networking hardware and solutions company launches a cert program that follows Cisco's lead in many respects. Check it out to learn about their "certification system." (vendor specific networking certifications at the associate, professional and internetwork expert levels)
- Tenable: The maker of the Nessus Security Scanner and other security management and monitoring tools offers three credentials. There the Tenable Certified Nessus Auditor (TCNA), the Tenable Certified Security Engineer (TCSE), and the Tenable Certified Log Manager (TCLM). Check them out at the company's cert page. (vendor specific security certifications for Tenable platforms for IT pros)
- SIP School: a purveyor of internet telephony and streaming content training adds certification to its mix, with the SIP School Certified Associate (SSCA) and the SIP School Voice and Video Over IP (VVoIP) certifications.(vendor-neutral VVoIP and Session Initiation Protocol, or SIP, cert credentials for IT pros)
- Websense: the long-time purveyor of Web and e-mail security platforms offers various end-user (read: system admins for those who own and operate these platforms) certs for its Gateway Anywhere (WSGA Professional), Email Security Gateway Anywhere (ESGA Professional), and Certified Data Security Suite (DSS Professional) platforms (vendor-specific Web, email, and data loss prevention platform certs for IT pros)
That's almost 30 credentials in all, by my count. Plenty to look at, think about, and chew upon. Enjoy!
Other Things You Might Like