Exam and Certification Details
- Exam Number: 200-301
- 120 minutes
- Number of Questions: Unstated to date
- Question types: Multiple Choice (single and multiple answers), drag-and-drop, Sim, Simlet, Testlet (see exam tutorial videos here)
- Passing score varies, but it is traditionally around 800-850 out of 1000
- Multiple languages
- Register at pearsonvue.com
- Certification achieved: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Note that with the old CCNA R&S certification, Cisco gave us two different paths to achieve the certification: a 2-exam path and a 1-exam path. For the new CCNA certification, there is only the 1-exam path.
CCNA 200-301 as a Stepping Stone
In the past, and up through transition day (February 24, 2020), Cisco certification candidates had many choices after getting their CCNA Routing and Switching certification. Those options narrow as of transition day, with the most likely choice being to pursue one of the five future CCNP certifications. As mentioned earlier, Cisco will remove most of the existing other CCNA certifications (CCNA Cyber Ops is probably not being retired). Cisco also plans to consolidate the existing CCNP tracks into the following:
- Enterprise (like the old Routing and Switching track)
- Data Center
- Service Provider
To pursue these tracks, keep two important facts in mind moving forward.
- CCNP Certification no longer requires CCNA Certification. In the past, you had to be CCNA certified to become CCNP certified in the same technology. No more. If you can pass the tests associated with a CCNP, you get that CCNP—no prerequisites at all. However...
- CCNP Certification does require CCNA knowledge and skills. You still need to know the CCNA topics to succeed in most of the new CCNP certifications. So, you could bypass taking the CCNA 200-301 exam, but you probably could not bypass learning the material before pursuing CCNP.
So why did Cisco choose not to require CCNA certification anymore? They saw the prerequisite as a barrier for some people. Imagine you'd been working as a network engineer for eight years and knew CCNA-level content well—but didn't know a few of the small topics. However, you were interested in some CCNP topics. Cisco wanted to remove the barrier of making that person learn CCNA topics just to be allowed to pursue CCNP.
Recommended Study Resources
Cisco Press is producing book, eBook, simulator software, and video training titles in support of the new CCNA exam, and they will release over the course of the next several months. Check back for updated links from this page when new titles become available for pre-order or purchase.
The CCNA 200-301 Certification Library (estimated release: December 2019*) is a boxed set with two books inside. The CCNA 200-301 exam, while a single exam, contains a large number of topics. To make using the books more manageable, Cisco Press provides the content in two books: Volume 1 (pre-order now!) and Volume 2 (estimated release: December 2019*). Volume 1 contains most of the content about traditional routing, switching, and wireless LANs, with Volume 2 discussing security, IP Services, architecture, and automation-related topics. Note that you will be able to buy both volumes individually, in print and eBook form. Cisco Press offers the eBooks as Premium Edition eBook and Practice Test products—all popular eBook formats plus extra test questions.
These products will also help round out your study library, with extra reference and practice tools:
The CCNA 200-301 Portable Command Guide (estimated release: December 2019*) summarizes all CCNA certification-level Cisco IOS® Software commands, keywords, command arguments, and associated prompts.
If you need help organizing, preparing, and reviewing all the CCNA objectives, use 31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam (estimated release: June 2020*).
The CCNA 200-301 Complete Video Course and Practice Test (estimated release: December 2019*) gives you a comprehensive, self-directed video course about the new CCNA 200-301 exam.
If you are new to networking, you may want to check out the CCNA 200-301 Foundations LiveLessons: A Pre-CCNA Review of Networking Fundamentals (estimated release: September 2019*). This title will walk you through the pre-requisite knowledge needed before beginning your CCNA study.
* Titles and release dates subject to change.