Step 3: Configure MS-CHAP on the Client
Let’s configure your client to connect to the VPN server using a more complex level of authenticationuser name and password verification. This will be MS-CHAP II.
- Go to the Windows XP computer
- Right-click My Network Places and select Properties to find your VPN adapter. If it is not there, create a new one, and point it towards your existing VPN server.
- Right-click the VPN adapter and select Properties.
- Click the Security tab and select Advanced (Custom Settings).
- Click the Settings button. This opens the Advanced Security Settings dialog box.
- Make sure that Require Encryption is selected in the Data Encryption drop-down list, and that the Microsoft CHAP (MS-CHAP) and Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2) check boxes are selected, as shown in Figure 3. MS-CHAPII is already accepted by the server. MS-CHAPII will now be your challenge authentication scheme; it will work automatically.
Figure 3 The Advanced Security Settings dialog box.