- Make Yourself Indispensable
- A Word About Value
- Being Proactive
- Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
- Maintain a Business-First Mentality
- Create Standards, Automation, or a Programmer's Toolkit
- Create a Peer Knowledge Network
- Be Known As the Go-To Resource
- Be Ready and Willing to Take on the Necessary Responsibility
- Have Experts You Call On for Your Organization
- Be Passionate About Something!
- Never Blame, and Always Have a Corrective Plan
- Adopt Concept Over Process
- Actions & Ideas
Be Known As the Go-To Resource
Never take a not-my-job attitude. You want to be the first person that your company thinks of when it needs answers. Having a strong peer network and having a thriving professional network is critical in meeting this objective.
In addition, you need to have a good list of online resources, knowledgebases, and discussion lists. Your ability to quickly find solutions for the problems thrown your way will cement you as a go-to resource.