- Make Yourself Indispensable
- A Word About Value
- Being Proactive
- Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
- Maintain a Business-First Mentality
- Create Standards, Automation, or a Programmer's Toolkit
- Create a Peer Knowledge Network
- Be Known As the Go-To Resource
- Be Ready and Willing to Take on the Necessary Responsibility
- Have Experts You Call On for Your Organization
- Be Passionate About Something!
- Never Blame, and Always Have a Corrective Plan
- Adopt Concept Over Process
- Actions & Ideas
Maintain a Business-First Mentality
Understanding that technology is, first and foremost, a business enabler (something that enhances the ability for the organization to perform its functions) helps your longevity in the field and at your company.
Too often, technology professionals become so focused on their specific technologies that they fail to grasp their impact within the greater organizational structure. This is particularly true with back-office support roles.
Placing vital importance on the optimization of the technology is a mindset that most professionals can plead guilty to. Although such optimization can be extremely valuable and important, it is only so because of how it supports the business, not because of the technology.
Maintaining a business-first mentality can help you see the importance of your technology within that context.