- Make Yourself Indispensable
- A Word About Value
- Being Proactive
- Understanding Technology's Role in the Organization
- Maintain a Business-First Mentality
- Create Standards, Automation, or a Programmer's Toolkit
- Create a Peer Knowledge Network
- Be Known As the Go-To Resource
- Be Ready and Willing to Take on the Necessary Responsibility
- Have Experts You Call On for Your Organization
- Be Passionate About Something!
- Never Blame, and Always Have a Corrective Plan
- Adopt Concept Over Process
- Actions & Ideas
Be Passionate About Something!
This is a critical life skill. I'm not necessarily specifying that you be passionate about technology or about business. I'm merely proposing that you have deeply rooted passions in life. Make them a driving force in your professional life.
I find that people who don't have passions or interest often have lackluster performance at work. It is as though their entire life is marked by a general disinterest or lack of focus.
Carrying a passionate attitude about something can help you separate yourself from those who are not so internally motivated.
I'm passionate about many things. In the business world, I love understanding what a client's business is. I enjoy catching the vision of the executive management and then helping to crystallize and realize that vision. This isn't contrived or artificial. I actually take an active interest in what a company produces.
This helps me create better, more proactive solutions. Coupled with a passion toward solution-driven technology, I join the company vision with the possibilities in technology. Following this model will put you on the top of the list of producers at the company.